Checklist for Coordinating the Final Steps of Your Sale
I will be happy to guide you through the final process. Please read the following checklist to assist you through the final stages. Your attorney will guide and provide you with the legal advice that you will need.
Prior to closing
- Please review the terms of the Purchase and Sales Agreement.
- Unless otherwise agreed, Seller must vacate the property before the closing.
- The Buyer is entitled to a final walk through of the property prior to closing. Within 48hrs of closing.
- Schedule Movers.
- Buyer obtains insurance policy or binder with paid receipt.
- Seller’s attorney prepares new deed. If Seller is not using an attorney, the Seller may pay the closing attorney to prepare the new deed.
- Seller or Seller’s agent obtains a Smoke Detector Compliance Certificate from the Fire Dept.
*Please book appointment with the Fire Dept. well in advance of closing. I
can assist you with this process.
- Seller or Seller’s agent obtains a Carbon Monoxide Compliance Certificate from the Fire Department (they come once to check smoke and CO2 detectors as operable).
- Buyer and Seller need to change addresses and utilities, as outlined below.
- Seller obtains final water reading and invoice.
- Prior to Closing – Condominiums Only
- Seller or her broker obtains a 6(d) Certificate from the Management Company. There is a fee for this certificate. Please call me for further information and assistance.
- Buyer amends Master Insurance policy to reflect buyer’s name and lender. Please contact me for further assistance.
- Buyer may wish to purchase their own condominium insurance policy in addition to the existing Master Insurance policy.
- Buyer may wish coverage for personal possessions, liability, and any gaps in Master Insurance policy.
- Seller leaves instruction manuals and warrantees, if any, for appliances and other items to be transferred to buyer at closing.
- Buyer does a final walk through of the property prior to closing. Within 48hrs of closing.
- Seller and Buyer must bring acceptable photo identification (driver’s license) to closing.
- Buyer brings certified/bank check to closing. Please obtain check amount from closing attorney one day prior to closing.
- Seller must bring Certificate of Compliance for the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to closing.
- Seller brings all keys to closing.
- Buyer/Seller brings checkbooks for payment of any outstanding costs, if any.
Change of Address
- Driver’s License
- Savings and checking account
- Dog license (if applicable)
- Credit cards
- Place of employment
- Health and life insurance
- Magazines and newspapers
- Post Office
- Friends and family
- Online accounts of any type/kind
- Utilities are turned over as of the day of closing. Please plan ahead and notify your utility companies regarding your old residence as well as your new residence.
- National Grid: 1-800-375-7405 is the number to “request service”
- NSTAR: 1-800-592-2000 or www.nstar.com
- Oil Companies: Check the furnace at your home for a tag which may show who has been servicing the furnace. Local companies will also be found in the yellow pages.
- Water and Sewer Depts: You will be billed quarterly and the departments should notify you. Contact your Town or City Hall for further information.
- Phone/Cable/Satellite Dish
- Comcast: 800-COM-CAST or www.comcast.com
- Verizon: 1-800-837-4966 (1-800-VERIZON)
- MassResources.org has a broader list and set of resources as well.
Taxes – Specifically for the Buyer
- Once you have moved into your new home, it is a good idea to visit the Assessor’s Office to have your name put on the tax rolls. Watch the newspaper for the announcement that the tax bills are coming. If you do not receive a bill, call the town as soon as possible. The town may have sent it to the previous owner. However, it is still your responsibility!
||(617) 921-4758 cell/direct firstname.lastname@example.org http://willardgrp.com/bio MA License# 9077116||WILLARD REALTY GROUP, Inc. 1953 Massachusetts Ave. Ste. 400775 Cambridge, MA 02140 http://willardgrp.com/ MA License: 9011|
“Your referrals to me will get the best of many years’ residential real estate experience
– and my heartfelt thanks.”